300 ml single cream, 300 ml milk, 100 g finely grated Parmesan, 4 egg yolks, salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, 12 anchovy fillets, 50 g unsalted butter, 8 very thin slices of pain de campagne
How to make Parmesan Custard and Anchovy Toast
1. Mix the cream, milk and all but 1 tablespoon of the cheese in a large bowl and warm gently over a pan of boiling water until the cheese has melted. Allow to cool completely before whisking in the egg yolks, salt, finely milled white pepper and a little cayenne pepper.
2. Lightly butter 8 china moulds or small ramekins 75 ml in capacity and divide the mixture between them.
3. Place the moulds in a deep roasting tray and pour in the boiling water to come half-way up the side of the moulds. Cover the tray with buttered baking paper and bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees C, for 15 minutes or until the mixture has just set.
4. Meanwhile, pound the anchovies and butter to a smooth paste and spread over 4 of the slices of bread. Cover with the remaining bread and toast in a sandwich maker or panini machine.
5. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the cooked custards and brown the tops under a preheated hot grill.
6. Cut the toasted anchovy sandwiches into little fingers and serve alongside the custards.